How to measure LV Mass

I am the technical director for a lab in Grand Rapids, MI.  My physician was acquiring what the correct way to measure LV Mass was.  Is it recommended to measure it in M-Mode in SAX or PLAX or 2D in the PLAX?
The LV mass is commonly estimated using the Devereux method. You can measure the IVSd and the PWd in either parasternal long or SAX. You can do that either in M-Mode or 2D as long as you are consistent.
However, the most common method used is to measure the  IVSd, PWd and the LVEDD using 2D in the parasternal long axis view. Pls. see diagram in CSE-CardioMath for an example.
Web Master, Canadian Society of Echocardiography
Posted in Q&A

Feedback on the CSE Weekend 2014

Though I’m a bit biased, I truly like this meeting in Toronto. This city venue certainly provides lots to see and do in addition to the meeting (though I’d like it more in May). Being from a NON-academic setting, its great to be reminded of the basics of assessing systolic and diastolic cardiac function – which in all honesty is predominant use for Echo. If possible, I would pay $20’ish for a DVD of all the talks over the 3 days.

JB, Niagara on the Lake, Ontario


Great meeting as always
Awesome cases,
I think an extra day or half a day would be great
Thanks Ian


Posted in Q&A

Question about fellowship in echocardiography

Hello, I am a resident physician cardiology from the final year in Peru. In my country there are no programs for fellowship in echocardiography. I wonder if I can apply for any of the Fellowship in Echocardiography your country. If possible please send me the requirements.
Thanks. ZR
Thanks for your inquiry. You can contact each of the program in Canada directly.
By as a foreign fellow, you have to satisfy requirements as a specialist in the province that you apply to.
You can check out the following links for the programs in Canada …
Chi-Ming Chow MD
Posted in Q&A

Validating Echocardiography Training in Quebec


je suis medecin diplomée hors du Québec, je viens d obtenir un permis restrictif d excercie comme specialiste en medecine interne, je voudrais savoir quelles sont les demarches a faire pour valider ma formation en echocardiographie (que j ai faite en Algerie durant mon residanat, en sachant que j ai pratiqué labas ) et/ou comment faire pour refaire cette formation au Canada pour pouvoir faire cet examen dans le cadre de ma pratique actuelle en tant qu interniste a l hopital de Matane.
Veuillez agreer mes salutations distinguées.

Dr. NK


Thank you for your inquiry. To best answer this question, I suggest you contact the College des médecins du Quebec which is the body in Quebec that validates licensure and competency. They may refer to the need for you to contact your hospital (Dviisonal Chief and DPS’s Office) in which you work for you to be further assessed by a Training Program to validate your competency in Echocardiography. Centers in Quebec that may provide assessment of competency include the Jewish General Hospital, the Montreal Heart Institute or Hopital Sacré-Coeur in Montreal. I believe that Hopital Laval in Quebec City may also provide this assessment. Please refer as well to the new Training guidelines established by the Canadian Society of Echocardiography; Training Programs are asked to follow these recommendations.

I hope this provides you with a few avenues with regard to your quiery.

Igal A. Sebag, MD

How long do I have to keep echo images and records?


Are there any regulations regarding the time to keep the echo images – tapes or digital storage? Our company is not an IHF.
Thank you for your time and consideration.



The regulation according to CPSO is that clinical records need to be kept for 10 years.
For pediatric cases, it is 10 years after the patient turns 18.
Echo is a clinical record and guided by the same rule.

Kwan-Leung Chan, MD FRCPC FACC
University of Ottawa Heart Institute